Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Berry Yogurt Oatmeal

I love oatmeal and I love yogurt! One day I had a thought....what would yogurt and oatmeal taste like together....? There was only one way to find out. I was so pleased! This concoction is filling, tasty and satisfying. It helps keep me full for hours...seriously. It's my favorite thing to eat at work (I work graveyard shifts at a local hospital) because of the fact I am full for seriously 4-5 hours, that's a lot of mileage out of 1 meal.

When I was thinking about this recipe idea I wanted something low in sugar, high in protein and fiber, and with some fat. With just the right combination I knew it would be a winner. This recipe is low in sugar by using berries. It's high in protein using greek yogurt (23 grams per 1 cup serving). The fat comes from nuts: either peanut butter or walnuts, either one is great- just depends on what flavor and texture you want. The fiber is delivered from the oats and chia seeds. The maca powder adds a yummy chocolate flavor with mood boosting attributes.

This recipe is for 1 serving. When I'm preparing for my nightshifts (I usually work 4 in a row) I make multiple servings of this in multiple containers. To me there's nothing worse when I come home from a long night of work and have to make more food. I prepare all my food in 1 afternoon. Lots of work but so worth it!

Berry yogurt oatmeal1/2 cup fage 0% greek yogurt
2/3 cup frozen mixed berries
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp Nativa chocolate maca powder for protein shakes (optional)
1 oz walnuts chopped or 1.5 tbsp nut butter
1 packet instant plain oatmeal

Instructions:
Combine yogurt, berries, chia seeds, and chocolate powder. Mix well.
Cook oatmeal according to package directions.
Combine yogurt mixture and oatmeal. Mix well and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment